Akerman will host a program titled, "California’s New Employment Laws for 2019 – Strategies to Avoid Risk." Marissa Alguire, Michelle Lee Flores, and Jeffrey Horton Thomas will discuss the new initiatives signed into law by former Governor Brown and effective January 1, 2019, which include many first-in-the-country requirements for employers. The program is designed for in-house counsel, C-suite executives, HR professionals, and corporate and employment counsel and will provide an update on the new developments, effective strategies for meeting the new demands, and how to avoid ever-increasing risk in California.
- Expanded liability for sexual harassment
- Greater harassment prevention obligations
- New limits on non-disparagement and settlement agreements
- A further limitation on background checks
- Clarifications on employer obligations to provide payroll records
- Expansion of privileged communications when speaking with prospective employers of former employees
CLE, CE for CPAs, HRCI, and SHRM credits pending.