Akerman, in partnership with American Lawyer Media (ALM), will present the 5th annual ALM-Akerman U.S. Latin America Legal Summit on November 10, 2017 in Miami. As the clash of globalism and a resurgent nationalism radically alters political landscapes, uncertainty confronts the economies of the Western Hemisphere. The U.S. administration is taking a renewed look at existing bilateral and multilateral trade agreements, vowing to renegotiate and even cancel some existing pacts not perceived as favorable to the United States.
Additional speakers from across Latin America, including Argentina, Brazil, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, and Venezuela, will discuss relations between the United States and Latin America; the principal goals pursued by the United States and how the mindset of “Putting America First” will affect the relationship with our neighbors to the North and South; and current obstacles and opportunities existing in Latin America. Sessions will include:
- Keynote Address with Ana Navarro: Latin America and the U.S. – A Critical Relationship
- NAFTA: Present status of the re-negotiations and priorities for each party nation
- Litigation and Arbitration: Enforcement of foreign judgments and awards
- FCPA: Q&A with the FBI on FCPA enforcement trends and patterns
- Cuba and Venezuela: Update on the new regulations
- Immigration: Q&A with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection on H and L visas, acquiring status, and deportation activity
- Political Tête-à-Tête Reprise: Back by popular demand, Luis A. Perez and Pedro A. Freyre will face off again to discuss:
- U.S. Foreign Policy
- Globalism vs. Nationalism
- Closed Borders vs. Open Borders
- Campaign Rhetoric vs. Reality
Our keynote speaker will be Ana Navarro, political contributor at CNN & Republican strategist. Respected on both sides of the aisle for her candor, she frequently appears in the media providing deft analysis with her signature no-holds-barred honesty and larger-than-life personality.
The program is presented exclusively for in-house counsel and senior-level executives of U.S.-based companies doing business in Latin America and Latin American-based companies doing business in the United States. For more information, please click here.