As Broward County Attorney:
Guided the legal work for land use, federal and state regulatory approvals, procurement, funding, and design and construction contracts for major public infrastructure projects, including:
- Fort Lauderdale International Airport’s new runway and aircraft bridge over US Highway 1, as well as construction of new terminal building and renovation of four others
- Major county convention center expansion and development of waterfront convention center hotel
- Port Everglade’s turning notch improvements, deepening and widening of the Port’s channels, development of intermodal rail line into port, and associated port expansion activities
- New Broward County courthouse, courthouse garage, and improvements in associated courthouse facilities
- Operating and related agreements with the Florida Panthers professional hockey team at the county-owned BBT Arena, incorporating arena improvements, additional public funding, and land conveyance to the county.
Guided the legal work for the full spectrum of issues for Broward County, a sampling of which includes development of ballot language and ordinances for a proposed transportation sales surtax; defense of challenge to county commission decennial redistricting decision; representation of elections canvassing board; successful termination of longstanding federal consent decree governing county detention facilities; continuing issues concerning allocation of responsibilities between county commission and independent constitutional officers and court administration; county-wide comprehensive planning, environmental, and platting regulation; emergency management; insurance and risk management; public sector real estate conveyances and restrictions; municipal finance, community redevelopment agencies, and special assessments; representation of tax collector in sales of tax certificates and deeds; transit, parks, and libraries; comprehensive program of social service delivery; and public sector labor and collective bargaining issues, including Airline Deregulation Act and Davis-Bacon matters.
Argued: Represented Broward County in persuading Supreme Court of Florida to uphold charter-imposed term limits for county commissioners. Telli v. Broward County, 94 So.3d 504 (Fla. 2012).
Represented Miami-Dade County: defense and favorable resolution of $113M Bert Harris Act claim arising from new urbanism regulation; successful defense of first state agency challenge to a local comprehensive plan amendment in Florida; successful defense of lengthy multi-party inverse condemnation case arising from county zoning ordinance regulating development in East Everglades; successful brief and oral argument resulting in en banc decision of state appellate court on admissibility of citizen lay testimony in zoning cases; defense, successful appeal, and favorable resolution of multi-pronged challenge to development of public tennis facility in county park; defense and favorable resolution of estimated $72M federal tax claim against county’s public teaching hospital; significant amicus curiae participation in Supreme Court of Florida decision recognizing that comprehensive planning in Florida is legislative and entitled to appropriate deference in the courts.