Akerman LLP, a top 100 U.S. law firm serving clients across the Americas, has attracted 30 litigators and trial lawyers from Beirne Maynard & Parsons, including Founding Partner Martin Beirne, Chairman Scott Marrs, Managing Partner Brit Brown and Appellate Practice Chair Terry Adams. Akerman will more than double its Texas presence with the addition of these lawyers and establish new locations in Houston, San Antonio, Austin and New Orleans, La. The expansion represents a significant marker in Akerman's growth trajectory and commitment to the region, where the firm already has a growing Dallas office with 22 lawyers. Statewide, Akerman will now have 45 litigators and transactional lawyers across four offices in Texas. Nationally, Akerman's headcount grows to more than 675 lawyers and integrated business professionals.
The group of lawyers brings dedicated experience in complex commercial litigation, class/collective action defense, international arbitration and appellate law for prominent U.S. companies, corporate executives and global investors. With core strengths in the insurance, energy and exploration markets, the combination of their practices will:
• Amplify one of the largest and most prestigious trial teams in the nation that will now include more than 350 litigators across 24 offices in the United States
• Reinforce Akerman's position as one of the leading legal teams in the financial services sector
• Add significant depth for clients in the oil & gas, energy and petrochemical sectors
• Complement Akerman's Fraud & Recovery, Healthcare, Intellectual Property, Labor & Employment and Real Estate Practice Groups, and build upon the firm's comprehensive services for clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device, aviation, automotive and construction sectors
• Extend Akerman's local presence and reach throughout the Americas, including representation before the U.S. Supreme Court, government agencies, arbitral tribunals, all Texas Courts, and state and federal courts in California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Colorado, New York, Washington, D.C., and other U.S. and international jurisdictions
The lawyers joining from Beirne, Maynard & Parsons include 21 partners, three of counsel and six associates. Among them is a former member of the Texas House of Representatives and chairman of the House Committee on Civil Practices; a former general counsel to the Texas Secretary of State and chief clerk to the House Committee on Regulated Industries; a former district director to the Texas Senate; and previous corporate counsel or executives for major corporations, including Standard Oil/British Petroleum, Union Texas Petroleum, Coastal Corporation and others.
Sixteen of the 30 new lawyers are located in Houston, the fourth largest city in America and a major point of entry for international trade and U.S.-Latin American investment. Austin, New Orleans and San Antonio are rising investment markets and key to the economy. Adding offices in each of these cities will grow Akerman's platform to 24 offices. The expansion is part of a national growth strategy to meet increasing client demand in major financial and business centers across the United States.
Nationally, Akerman is more than doubling its physical footprint in Chicago, after growing fivefold from eight to 47 lawyers since the office opened in 2014. In New York, the second largest office in the firm, Akerman has grown to more than 90 lawyers and integrated business professionals, tripling headcount in just two and a half years. Most recently, the firm moved its largest office to Brickell City Centre – coined the Rockefeller Center of Miami – becoming the largest law firm in the heart of the financial center of the Americas. The momentum is also seen in Los Angeles, where Akerman has added 10 lawyers since last year, and in other key markets.
About Akerman LLP
Akerman LLP is a leading transactions and trial law firm known for its core strengths in middle market M&A, within the financial services and real estate industries, and for a diverse Latin America practice. With more than 650 lawyers and government affairs professionals and a network of 24 offices, it is ranked among the top 100 law firms in the United States by The American Lawyer (2016). Akerman also is ranked among the top 60 law firms for diversity in The American Lawyer's Diversity Scorecard (2016).