Akerman LLP, a top 100 U.S. law firm serving clients across the Americas, today announced that it has once again earned top honors in Benchmark Litigation's 2020 guide, with its litigators named among the best in the United States. The firm was further recognized as “Highly Recommended” in Florida and “Recommended” in Virginia. Benchmark Litigation introduced a Labor & Employment category in its 2020 guide, leading to a first-time recognition as "Highly Recommended" in Florida for that category.
Benchmark Litigation individually honored 12 Akerman lawyers as “Local Litigation Stars” in the areas of appellate, general commercial litigation, white collar crime, real estate, construction, and securities, as well as seven "Labor & Employment Stars." Jacksonville Office Managing Partner Christian George, Aleksas Barauskas, and Ryan Roman were highlighted for their inclusion in the publication's 40 & Under Hot List, while George and Roman, along with Kristen Fiore, also earned Future Star recognitions. Katherine Giddings, who delivered oral arguments in a high-profile medical marijuana case in Florida's First District Court of Appeal, earned her eighth consecutive Benchmark Litigation "Top 250 Women in Litigation" recognition.
Focused exclusively on the U.S. litigation markets, the rankings and editorials of Benchmark Litigation are the result of annual independent research that involves extensive interviews with private practice lawyers and in-house counsel. The guide’s “local litigation stars” reflect lawyers who are recommended by peers and clients to have established consistent reputations as trial lawyers.
The Akerman lawyers and the categories in which they are recognized are listed below:
- Colin Barnacle, Labor & Employment Star
- Karen Buesing, Labor & Employment Star
- Michael Chavies, Local Litigation Star for Appellate, General Commercial, White Collar Crime
- Dana Clayton, Local Litigation Star for Real Estate
- Kristen Fiore, Future Star
- Dee Dee Fischer, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial
- Brian Fraser, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial
- Christian George, Future Star
- Katherine Giddings, Local Litigation Star for Appellate, General Commercial
- Andrew Gold, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial
- Angela Hart-Edwards, Labor & Employment Star
- William Heller, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial, Securities
- Stephen Hurlbut, Local Litigation Star for Construction, General Commercial
- Debra Leder, Labor & Employment Star
- Michael Marsh, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial, Securities
- Rory McEvoy, Labor & Employment Star
- Brian Miller, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial, Securities
- James Miller, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial
- Lawrence Rochefort, Local Litigation Star for General Commercial
- Ryan Roman, Future Star
- Matthew Steinberg, Labor & Employment Star
- Jeffrey S. Horton Thomas, Labor & Employment Star
Akerman LLP is a top 100 U.S. law firm recognized among the most forward thinking firms in the industry by Financial Times. Its more than 700 lawyers and business professionals collaborate with the world’s most successful enterprises and entrepreneurs to navigate change, seize opportunities, and help drive innovation and growth. Akerman is known for its results in middle market M&A and complex disputes, and for helping clients achieve their most important business objectives in the financial services, real estate and other dynamic sectors across the United States and Latin America.
Akerman’s Litigation Practice Group has vast experience in a wide range of civil and criminal litigation, including class action defense, securities and corporate litigation, banking, white collar crime and government investigations, insurance, and real estate. The team is ranked tier one nationally by U.S. News – Best Lawyers in several categories including Commercial Litigation and Appellate.